Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Mom's Funeral

The service was absolutely beautiful. I had some reservations about it being held in a Mormon chapel, but this particular bishop handled things very well. Because I used to be the really religous one in the family, I was asked to give a prayer during the viewing. I was able to get through it without assigning a gender to God and using the "thee" and "thou" verbiage which is typical during a Mormon prayer. Grandma was an absolute warrior. She lost her legs when she first saw her daughter's body, but considering her health condition, she was very strong. Nobody should ever have to see their child in a coffin. The ward Relief Society cooked a meal for the family. It was your typical yummy Mormon food and it was truly theraputic.

This tragedy has brought out everybody's true colors and told me who in the family I will be able to be close to from this point on. Most have expressed a desire to be close. I am basically a member of the family again. It would not have happened so soon if Mom had not done this. This is where the true healing begins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home